[Petal] Interoperability

William McKee william@knowmad.com
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:11:30 -0400

Hi Jim and Jean-Michel,

I've been following up on your conversation this morning and am glad to see some
progress being made towards interoperability. I think it would be a good thing.

A few points:

- the petal:if syntax is good for busy people as well as lazy people <g>.

- Petal allows one to access values in arrays or hashes via the object.value format.
I'm guessing that Jean-Michel considers this a method which returns a value and is
why he did not mention it in his original message.

- The concept of TALES expressions seems like it would be an interesting way to
implement the Petal syntax that extends beyond the TAL spec. Unless, TALES
becomes a defacto standard for building templates for web applications, I'm not
sure what the benefits would be of doing this work.

- I must agree about the dot notation. I cannot see where an application would need
to have a variable name with a dot in it. If I'm accepting user input, it will usu. go
into a variable that I have named. Backslashing special characters makes sense in
the exceptional cases.

- The debate about using Perl/Python/Java/etc. in templates vs. creating a mini-
language will never end. I've tried many Perl template implementations. Personally,
I prefer a mini-language to embedding code into templates. However, I think the
mini-language should truly be mini which is the reason I'm not using the Template
Toolkit <www.tt2.org>. I think the Petal attribute language is simple and like the
ability to apply minor modification to the values from the template side.

- What is the Object Constraint Language? That sounds like a possibility.

-> I find the string: expressions very interesting!
Jean-Michel: This sounds like it might do what I was asking about last week in
regards to creating a mailto link. What do you think?

Regards,
William
--
 Lead Developer
 Knowmad Services Inc. || Internet Applications & Database Integration