[Petal] Petal 0.80 released

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver@mkdoc.com
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:18:54 +0000

> >Congratulations!  You've done a fantastic job, and I appreciate your
> >willingness to keep Petal aligned with TAL.
>
> Me too. :)
>
> Jim

This is too much guys :-)

I can't decently moan all day about programs and file formats etc. not
being interoperable and then myself write a piece of code and not think
about interoperability at all.

I know that Petal is not 100% inline with the whole ZPT thing, but I'll
strive to keep things as compatible as possible. I'm still far off from
Petal 1.00 and you can expect more changes - there's a lot of work to do
on TALES... -

One thing which I have been looking at and which doesn't convince me too
much is the METAL spec. I think it's a bit too programatic for a
template tool.

Currently with Petal includes are made using a XML processing
instruction: <?include file="/some/thing.xml"?>

My collegue Chris Croome suggested implementing XInclude support. What
do you think about this?

Anyway, honestly you should thank yourselves for producing such an
elegant solution to templating and such a clear, concise specification.
Very very well designed, very clean, very pythonesque :-)

Best Regards,
--
Building a better web - http://www.mkdoc.com/
Jean-Michel Hiver