[Petal] Output modifier idea

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver@mkdoc.com
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:52:06 +0100

> I could see where this modifier could potentially do all of that kind of
> filtering for me. Perhaps it would be better to filter the data as it is
> being output rather than as it is being received.... Would there be any
> benefit in having two modifiers--one to strip "unsafe" html and one to
> format addresses into valid links? Any comments/suggestions would be
> *much* appreciated.

Hi William,

Automagic hyperlinking is **much bigger** a job than it appears at the
first glance, and I think that's beyond the scope of Petal. Our content
management system MKDoc does it.

If you want to see how I implemented it I recommend that you download
MKDoc [1] (although it's commercial software you can download it for
evaluation purposes) and that you take a look at the MKDoc::XML::* suite
of modules.

When your get our head around it you might want to write a Petal
modifier, but I don't think it would be sensible to insert it in the
Petal core.

Makes me think that I really need to work out a plugin system so that
you could install Petal modifiers a la CPAN, i.e. with a make && make
test && make install. Then you could upload your Petal modifiers to
CPAN, that'd be cool :-)

http://download.mkdoc.com/

--
IT'S TIME FOR A DIFFERENT KIND OF WEB