[Pangloss] strange chars & tests

Steve Purkis spurkis at mkdoc.com
Thu Aug 14 15:42:01 BST 2003

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 11:31  am, Bruno Postle wrote:

> I have a strange scattering of high-value characters that get
> rendered as question-marks in mozilla:
>
> <�> 65533, Hex fffd, Octal 177775
>
> This is the same with your test server.
>
> They appear in places like this:

> ..it looks like they might have started life as &nbsp; characters,
> since the templates are full of this sort of thing:

Certainly seems to be the case - I'd noticed &nbsp;'s 'disappearing' in
the past, but unfortunately they aren't visible in any of my browsers.
I had to save the raw HTML and open it with a text editor to see what
you were on about.

The same thing happens with other html entities too - I've just tried
using &middot; in one of the templates and it also 'disappears'.  Looks
like it's being encoded as chr(162) somewhere along the way.  Would be
nice if they were delivered as-is...

> We've had similar issues with htmltidy and Petal turning &nbsp; into
> Â characters - Maybe it's related?

Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated.  At the moment,
the only solution I can think of is to avoid using &nbsp; and other
entities.

> [snip - test output]
>
> Invalid value for shared scalar at
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/Test/Builder.pm line 319.
> WHOA!  Somehow you got a different number of results than tests ran!
> This should never happen!  Please contact the author immediately!
> END failed--call queue aborted.

Strange - never seen that error before.  Are you using an up-to-date
version of Test::Builder?  I'm using Test::More v0.45, and
Test::Builder v0.15.

> not ok 28 - sets current page
> #     Failed test (t/106..search-segments.t at line 123)
> #          got: '1'
> #     expected: '2'

Fixed that bug this morning :).

-Steve