[Pangloss] [RFC] OpenFrame AppKit ideas

Steve Purkis spurkis at mkdoc.com
Tue Apr 8 11:52:25 BST 2003

On Monday, April 7, 2003, at 04:52  pm, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:

>>> No worries - the place where this will affect you (if you work on
>>> Pangloss templates ever) is at the localisation level in the
>>> templates.
>>>
>>> So the application framework underlying Pangloss has to choose
>>> templates somehow.  Maybe in a similar fashion to the way MKDoc
>>> chooses <template>/<language>.html ?
>
> Question: Why would it be necessary to ever localize the application?

Good point.  For some reason, I had it stuck in my head that it had to
be localized just because it dealt in multiple languages...  But that's
not a good enough reason.  Maybe this is:

What if the source language changes?  The application should produce
error messages in the source language.

This doesn't apply to Multikulti, as the source language will always be
english.  But if someone else installs Pangloss and uses a different
language it would be useful.

Basically it boils down to this: if it's easy to do then I'll put in
localization hooks now.  If not, it can become a separate project.

> As a side note, if you want to do it, the latest version of Petal will
> make your life easy:
>
>   my $template = new Petal (file => 'template', lang => 'en-US');

Cool - just installed it & will have a look.

-Steve