[MKSearch-dev] Database query

Phil Shaw phil at mkdoc.com
Wed Jan 11 08:28:44 GMT 2006

Chris,

I have tested MKSearch querying using database storage and added a
commented-out configuration to the standard web.xml file. Both the
JSpider and Tomcat configurations are interchangeable with MySQL too;
just change the dbVendor parameter to 'mysql' and place the database
driver JAR in the relevant place -- full details here:

http://www.mksearch.mkdoc.org/howto/database-storage-configuration/

One thing to bear in mind when using database storage; re-indexing to
an existing database will _add_ statements to the store, it will not
remove existing statements. One workaround for the scheduled index
you are preparing is:

1. Index to a temporary database
2. Make a backup dump of the temporary database
3. Make a backup dump of the live database
4. Shut down Tomcat
5. Drop the live database
6. Create a new live database
7. Restore the temporary database to the live database
8. Start Tomcat
9. Drop the temporary database

Does this sound good to you? I can write a backup/restore scripts for
PostgreSQL. I don't generally use MySQL though. We would just need to
agree on database names: how about mksearch_temp and mksearch_live?

Best regards,

Phil

--
MKSearch (beta)

http://www.mksearch.mkdoc.org/

Free, open source metadata search engine with RDF storage and query.