[MKSearch-dev] MKSearch as a Desktop Application

Phil Shaw phil at mkdoc.com
Tue Aug 8 09:35:00 BST 2006

On 6 Aug 2006 at 8:19, Perl Dog wrote:

> Hello, I would like to use MKSearch as a desktop application; to be used by
> many individuals on their own computers, not installed on a central server.
>
> How practical would this be?  I could have a centralized mySQL database if
> needed, but I would want the BULK of the bandwidth to use used at the
> desktop, with minimal bandwidth requirements for the server.
>
> Can this be done?

There are several options for making a desktop search tool with
MKSearch. Only one is currently implemented, but it can be deployed
in different ways.

The system is currently implemented as a Web application with Web
browser clients. The servlet container may be on a remote host,
separate from the client, or it could be on the same machine.
Likewise, the database host could be local to the servlet container
or remote, and a number of installations could access the same
database.

In an intranet type deployment, any number of users could connect to
a single servlet container in a similar way to an Internet
deployment. The single central servlet container would use a single
database repository.

For a single user, the servlet container could be deployed on a
workstation and accessed using a Web browser on the same machine.
Another option would be for servlet containers on numerous desktops
to access the same central (intranet) database.

The other main option, which is not currently implemented, would be
to make a graphical user interface client for the system. This might
connect directly to the repository database.

Command line options are also possible. There is a basic
com.mkdoc.sesame.RepositoryQuery class for testing SeRQL queries that
uses a text file for query input against a file-based Sesame
repository.

Before the initial beta phase of development ended, I started work on
a com.mkdoc.io.FileSpider to test the principle of indexing content
on local or intranet file systems. This was mainly for test indexing
files locally, but could be expanded for use in earnest.

Best regards,

Phil
--
MKSearch (beta)

http://www.mksearch.mkdoc.org/

Free, open source metadata search engine with RDF storage and query.