[MKSearch-dev] Future directions

Phil Shaw phil at mkdoc.com
Thu Nov 10 10:08:06 GMT 2005

This post raises a couple of possibilities.

http://gnu.wildebeest.org/diary/index.php?p=132

to keep the focus on structured metadata because it has explicit
meaning, and this allows us (ultimately) to make better use of the
semantics and inferencing provided by Sesame.

The other is the idea of a personal aggregator. MKSearch works
just as well for intranets as for the public Web, but could also index
metadata in Open Office and PDF, possibly Microsoft Office
documents on the local file system.

I made some notes on this here:

http://www.mksearch.mkdoc.org/plans/future-directions/

Another thing I have been thinking about is to create a public
demonstration service that indexes the UK Information Asset
Register:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/iar

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/cgi-
bin/searchIAR.pl?DB=iar

That also has a category-based browse interface,  which Adam has
talked about in a different context.

The query/results system is designed so that results can be
cached server side for improved performance.

I have plenty of minor 'to do' items for MKSearch, but I think one of
these major developments may be feasible before the funding runs
out in January. Does anyone have any strong feelings on this, or
other ideas?

Best regards,

Phil

--
MKSearch (beta)

http://www.mksearch.mkdoc.org/

Free, open source metadata search engine with RDF storage and query.