Jpackage stuff, was: Re: [MKSearch-dev] Week 15 round up

Phil Shaw phil at mkdoc.com
Wed Jan 26 10:19:24 GMT 2005

On 26 Jan 2005, at 10:00, Chris Croome wrote:

> > On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:35:26 -0500, Fernando Nasser wrote:
> >
> > > Anyway, this discussion will be moot soon.  Apache Geronimo is
> > > comming up with replacements to most of these non-free
> > > dependencies (the APIs) and we are also packing some classpath[x]
> > > bits that just need some more testing.  So we will soon be able to
> > > build many things without having to grab non-free bits.

If they're looking to incorporate ClasspathX stuff, the dependencies
are probably JAXP (for XML parsers, XSLT, etc.) and JavaMail. The GNU
JAXP in MKSearch is a stripped down version that probably is not
suitable, it would have to be built with the native dependencies to
get a working XSLT processor. I haven't looked at GNU JavaMail in
detail.

> However tomcat *was* packaged for the devel version of Fedora Core 3
> so it *must* be possible to build it using only Free stuff...
>
> I'll read throught he Fedora devel list archives...

Thanks Chris. I haven't been able to contact the JPackage mailman
host since last night. Perhaps if you could report back on what you
find, we can ask the mailing list about their plans for Tomcat.

Phil