[MKSearch-dev] Compiling on linux (was:Week 2 round up)

Bruno Postle bruno at mkdoc.com
Fri Oct 22 13:29:16 BST 2004

On Wed 20-Oct-2004 at 12:49 +0100, Phil Shaw wrote:

> It would be really helpful if someone could check out the project
> and test these instructions and the scripts on a different
> machine. You only need make a couple of environment settings and
> everything should run straight out of the box. The two key
> software dependencies are noted in the README file.

  https://svn.mkdoc.com/mksearch/

On a fedora linux machine I needed to install the gcc-java package.

The bash scripts are stored in DOS text format, so I had to convert
them to unix format before bash would run them:

  dos2unix bin/*.sh

..and make them executable:

  chmod +x bin/*.sh

There is a bug at the beginning of bin/compile-jaxp.sh:

  rm -rf /home/mksearch/build/jaxp
  mkdir /home/mksearch/build/jaxp

This needs to be:

  rm -rf $mk_build/jaxp
  mkdir $mk_build/jaxp

'jar' on my system is in /usr/bin rather than /bin, so I had to
change the references to '/bin/jar' into 'jar' in jar-jaxp.sh,
jar-junit.sh & jar-servlet.sh.

After that compiling works ok:

  ./bin/compile-junit.sh
  ./bin/compile-mksearch.sh
  ./bin/compile-servlet.sh
  ./bin/compile-tests.sh
  cd bin
  ./compile-tests.sh
  ./jar-jaxp.sh
  ./jar-junit.sh
  ./jar-servlet.sh

This creates 473 .class files in ./build and these .jar archives in
./lib:

  349475 ./lib/gnu-jaxp.jar
   55262 ./lib/gnu-servlet.jar
   35145 ./lib/junit.jar