[MKSearch-dev] RESTful query syntax

Bruno Postle bruno at mkdoc.com
Fri Nov 26 11:50:58 GMT 2004

On Fri 26-Nov-2004 at 10:17 -0000, Phil Shaw wrote:
>On 24 Nov 2004, at 10:42, Bruno Postle wrote:
>
>> There is a mock-up of a RESTful interface for a proposed advanced
>> MKDoc search engine here:
>>
>>   http://testers.mkdoc.com/ideas/search/
>
> First, I would like to make a controversial suggestion that MKSearch
> does not index any document content, only metadata in meta and link
> elements. Various arguments in favour:

This is fine, it is simpler to develop and evaluate the system
without having to parse raw HTML content and make sense of it.

> Why do we want the search results page to re-form the original query
> in one field?

It is that these queries are identical:

   http://example.com/?a=b;c=d
   http://example.com/?a=b&c=d
   http://example.com/?c=d;a=b
   http://example.com/?c=d&a=b

Redirecting the client to a canonicalised URI before answering the
query means that caching can operate efficiently at the URI level.

> I'm a little wary of changing what the user puts into the system
> in unexpected and possibly unwarranted ways.

It is a possible refinement for later-on, it isn't necessary for
early development.

--
Bruno