[MKSearch-dev] Week 6 round up

Phil Shaw phil at mkdoc.com
Thu Nov 18 12:46:42 GMT 2004

I'm tending to focus on my frustration with problems in recent days
rather than some important break-throughs earlier this week, so this
should help put things in perspective... if I read it from back to
front.

I have done a half-day catch-up from last week and a half-day extra
this morning.

Phil

Monday
------

Spent most of the day tracing the problem Bruno reported with JTidy
and ultimately identified it as libgcj bug 9866. Checked in a set of
test scripts and an amended version of the ParserImpl class to work
around the problem. Also cleaned-up a number of early test classes
that are no longer relevant.

Tuesday
-------

Bruno reported a further problem with TJidy that was caused by the
same libgcj bug 9866, so this time it was much easier to identify and
correct. Checked in a minimal test case document for the problem, a
test script and amendment to work around.

Stripped the test configuration for JSpider to a bare minimum,
removing dependencies on Apache packages and completed a test run
using the Sun runtime. Started a static site for more limited
testing. Chris and Bruno set up the test host and provided remote
access for me.

Corrected some compilation script errors caused by the clean-up on
Monday. All scripts and test cases running successfully.

Wednesday
---------

Started investigating a problem running JSpider with gij where the
dynamic loading of plugin classes was throwing an
IncompatibleClassChangeError. The JSpider code is pretty dense and
poorly documented in this area so required some extensive debugging
code to track down. Ultimately identified the source of the problem,
but could not create a simple test case to reproduce it.

Separated test classes for GCJ issues from the standard MKSearch test
directory. Created a simple test case to verify thread support in gij.

Checked in some unit test and coverage classes for the SourceLister
components. Checked in the original Perl work on MKSearch.

Thursday
--------

Implemented a temporary workaround to cut-short the plugin loader
issue with JSpider. That was successful, but revealed another problem
that I traced to loading the rule sets, it may be a similar cause. In
this case, instantiating the Rule class throws a
NegativeArraySizeException, which appears to be internal to the
libgcj Constructor class.