[MKDoc-users] [Fwd: MKdoc questions and puzzlements]

Adam Moran adam at webarchitects.co.uk
Sun Sep 14 23:19:39 BST 2003

hi micheal,

you've done quite a lot since you were here :)
http://www.poolescavern.webarch.net/

> I had some progress with MKdoc and am now an official convert.

good to hear :)

> I do have some reservations though (mainly from a style/design point of view) but I'm sure we can overcome these painlessly.

sure - we can change lots quite easily - i think when you've added more
of the content it we'll be in a clearer position to know what's to be done

> Here are a couple of queries / issues ....
>
> 1, How do I put captions on the photos?

not sure if you mean

i. the photo's 'alternative text' ... in which case you give the 'photo
component' a meaningful title - for instance on your home page
http://www.poolescavern.webarch.net/ you presently have a photo with the
title 'D:\Poole's Cavern\Poole's Photos\new-1.jpg' - if you give it a
proper title then this will appear as the 'alternative text' when you
mouse over in a visual browser and more importantly be served to
non-visual browsers instead of the image .... or

ii. 'How do I put captions on the photos?' ... like you want to write
something on the photos

> 2. Do the borders around the images have to be blue?

the borders are blue because they are hyperlinks - they turn purple when
you have visited them - these colours are the ones used by convenstion
on the internet

it may make more sense, as you are using little images in any case, to
but these in as 'image components' rather than 'photo components' - the
images would then not be hyperlinks and would not therefore have a blue
/ purple border

i think you have some excellent photos - maybe you ought to make a
gallery of them - take a look here
http://www.helpisathand.gov.uk/images/peak-district/ to get an idea of
file sizes etc

> 3. When deleting a section - what does "Select a document that requests for the deleted document should be redirected to:" mean?

this is in case someone tries to visit your site at the web address of
the deleted page; this may happen for a number of reasons like

i. someone's made a link to the web page
ii. a search engine has indexed the web page
iii. you've sent someone a email linking to that web page

when you delete that page, mkdoc makes a note of the deleted web address
and is saying 'where do you want me to send folk who try to get this
page now ?'

hope this helps

--
adam