[MKDoc-users] Re: Unable to log in

Roger Merritt mcrogerm at stjohn.ac.th
Fri Jun 13 08:33:37 BST 2003

At 06:14 PM 6/12/03, you wrote:
>Oops, we didn't catch this since it went to the mkdoc-users-owner
>address instead of the list address.

Oops! I'll try to be more careful about Eudora's automatic nickname
substitution.

>On Tue 10-Jun-2003 at 03:32:36PM +0700, Roger Merritt wrote:
> >
> > I have make some further progress. I now have gotten my hosts file
> > configured to let me use the browser on my machine to connect to
> > http://www.imp.ac.th/, the name I'm now using for my experimental
> > site, but I still only get the MkDoc Root Document, whichever of
> > the three sites I try to connect to. I don't get the Login
> > toolbar. And for some reason I'm still not getting through to
> > edit.imp.ac.th, which I suppose is the important one. I can ping
> > the other three, www, admin, and su, but still not edit. Still
> > working on it.
> >
> > I'm not sure now if the problem is with my local DNS or with the
> > way I've got apache configured. I went through the
> > /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf today and didn't see any settings
> > that obviously required a change.
>
>It sounds like apache is serving just the first VirtualHost for all
>domains; do you have a "NameVirtualHost *" statement in your
>httpd.conf?

Yes, I noticed that and wondered about changing it to "NameVirtualHost
*.imp.ac.th", then decided the more general regexp was better.

Another baffling symptom: from my desktop machine I'm able to ping the www,
admin, and su domain names, but not the editor domain name -- that one
gives me a 'host not found' error. The others ping successfully, but
resolve to the address of the external interface. In the /etc/hosts file
all four are listed with the ip address 10.3.16.125, which is the address
of the internal network card. Ping shows the address as 203.151.134.104,
which is the address of the external network interface, the one that
connects my lan to the internet.

I think I'll try changing the order in which the virtuall domains appear in
the httpd.conf file.

--
Roger