[MKDoc-users] Success... almost

Roger Merritt mcrogerm at stjohn.ac.th
Fri Jun 6 08:35:32 BST 2003

At 04:08 PM 6/5/03, you wrote:
>>Well, I tracked down my mistake in MySQL and successfully ran the install
>>script. I put the 'include' statement into my system's httpd.conf (on
>>FreeBSD it's in /usr/local/etc/apache). I added the suggested names to
>>/etc/hosts, using poppy.stjohn.ac.th as the domain name. I fired up my
>>browser (Mozilla) on my Windoze machine and entered
>>'http://admin.poppy.stjohn.ac.th'. Mozilla gave me a little error window,
>>'www.poppy.stjohn.ac.th could not be found.Please check the name and try
>>again.'  OK, so I went to the \Windows directory and edited the LMHosts
>>file to add the names and re-booted (gad, I get tired of that). Fired up
>>Mozilla again, same result.
>
>Which domains have you set up when installing MKDoc?
>I assume the following:
>     http://www.poppy.stjohn.ac.th
>     http://admin.poppy.stjohn.ac.th
>     http://su.poppy.stjohn.ac.th
>?
>
>Then those 3 domains should point to the box running MKDoc either in your
>DNS or in your hosts file.

Yes, in the hosts file all three have the ip address '10.3.16.125', which
is the address of the internal LAN interface. Also editor.poppy.stjohn.ac.th.

>>So I tried 'http://poppy/' and got '502 - Internal server error'. The
>>www_error_log showed that something had not been able to find Hack.pm.
>
>That's part of the very bad Perl 5.6.1 UTF-8 support we were talking
>about. There should be a contrib/ directory with a UTF8-Hack Perl module
>in it that you need to install.

Yes. The actual error message was:
[Thu Jun  5 14:47:11 2003] [error] Can't locate UTF8/Hack.pm in @INC (@INC
conta
ins: .. .. /usr/local/www/mkdoc/mkdoc
/usr/local/lib/site_perl/5.00503/i386-free
bsd /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-freebsd
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_
perl/5.005 . /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/mach /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503
/usr/local
/ /usr/local/lib/perl) at ../MKDoc/Unicode.pm line 18.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ../MKDoc/Unicode.pm line 18.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ../MKDoc/Functions.pm line 11.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ../MKDoc.pm line 19.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/local/www/mkdoc/mkdoc/cgi/mkdoc.cgi li
ne 4.

Now the thing about that that puzzles me, when I watched the messages to
the monitor while install.pl was running, the very first one was something
like, "Found perl 5.005.03, ok". But after installing 5.6.1 I set 'use.perl
ports', which replaces the /usr/bin/perl entry to a symbolic link which
points to 5.6.1. When I run 'perl -V' I get "Summary of my perl5 (revision
5.0 version 6 subversion 1) configuration:" I did install the Hack.pm
module after upgrading perl, and it's in
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/mach/UTF8/Hack.pm. Running 'perl -e
'print @INC;' now shows that the current include libraries *do* include
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/mach, so I don't know what to do about
that. However, the installation appears to have succeeded, and when I point
the browser to 'http://poppy/' I get the McDoc root document. I don't think
the Hack.pm module would be affecting DNS lookup.

>>Re-ran install.pl. Tried again. This time I got the MkDoc root document.
>>Success!!! But... I can't access the admin account this way.
>
>>So now it's a DNS problem. I use the /etc/hosts file for internal name
>>resolution, checked to make sure /etc/host.conf is still OK, yup, check
>>hosts first, then check bind which is on an outside server. So what's next?
>
>Make sure that your three domains (for www, admin, su) are the same in the
>following locations:
>
>1/ <path_to_your_mkdoc_dir>/conf/sites.conf

OK.

>2/ <path_to_your_site>/httpd.conf

Seems OK to me, with the possible exception there's no entry for an
'admin.poppy.stjohn.ac.th' virtual domain.

>3/ host file or DNS. Prefereably DNS for anything else than playing on the
>local machine :)

Checked again, seems OK except that, following the install instructions I
didn't make an entry for 'su.poppy.stjohn.ac.th', which I've now added.
Whoops! I forgot to restart named! Naw, the problem persists.

>Make sure you have installed the Perl UTF8::Hack module.
>
>Let us know how it goes :)
>
>BTW: What was that MySQL mistake of yours?

I had, in fact, entered the name in MySQL as 'mkdoc1', not 'makedoc1'.
<blush> So after I corrected the install.conf file to reflect that, the
installation worked fine.

I'm going to have to set this aside over the weekend. I have a dozen new
computers arriving today that will have to be set up and I need to try to
change the power supply on my old server in the computer lab. Do you
suppose I should go ahead and sign up for the mkdoc-admin list? I expect
there'll be only a couple more of these installation inquiries and after
that my questions will be about using the set-up. If it's not troublesome,
I'd rather continue directing my queries to this list.

-- Roger