[MKDoc-users] MKDoc 1.3 features

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver@mkdoc.com
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:12:21 +0000

Hi Users,

  MKDoc v. 1.3 is under heavy development and I'd like to give you an
  overview of the features that it will provide. Meanwhile I'm really
  sorry for the current lack of responsiveness when bugs on the current
  version are found, but it's really hard to do many things at the same
  time :-(

1. Improved component architecture [TODO]

  A large portion of the Framework is being rebuilt to be able to
  implement this.

  1.1. More metadata

  Each component will feature at least the following metadata fields

  * Title      (i.e. "My Image")
  * Name       (i.e. 'my-img')
  * Extension  (i.e. 'txt')
  * Language
  * Template
  * Source
  * Description

  Each component will be editable separately.

  1.2. Better filenames

  Presently when you attach a file it is stored into ./static/files/
  MKDoc 1.3 will make it so that if you attach, let's say
  my-word-report.doc to the document /reports/, it will be accessible
  using /reports/my-word-report.doc, which is much more natural.

  1.3. Image archive

  The reason for which all the component system is being redone is to
  implement the image archive. You'll get a new kind of image component
  that will feature extra metadata, automatic image thumbnailing, etc.

2. Other enhances

  2.1. Better config files [90% done]

  Config files will be stored as XML on the server, allowing them to be
  edited in XML aware tools.

  2.2. Better permissions [100% done]

  A brand new permission system is being implemented using ACLs (Access
  Control Lists). ACLs will allow you to define which users can do what
  on which portions of the site at a very fine grained level.

  This will allow you, for example, to set up some kind of workflow by
  defining.

  /workflow/draft/
  /workflow/pre-approval/
  /workflow/staged/
  (live is anything that is not in /workflow/)

  /archives/

  You might then want to decide that public visitors cannot see
  /workflow nor /archives, that editors can edit only /workflow/draft/,
  etc.

  2.3. Better templating system [80% done]

  MKDoc 1.3. is going to feature a pluggable templating system.
  For the moment it features MKDoc::Template::Classic, which is a speed
  improved version of the current templating system, but alternate
  syntaxes should be supported shortly.

  We also plan to make it possible to include metadata in templates at
  some point.

Any comments are welcome.
IT'S TIME FOR A DIFFERENT KIND OF WEB
  Jean-Michel Hiver - Software Director