[MKDoc-modules] MKDoc::Auth

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Tue Mar 30 18:47:09 BST 2004

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 05:06:12PM +0100, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> So it seems to me that I am going to have to release, in fact, 3
> separate modules:
>
> MKDoc::Auth - Authentication layer
> MKDoc::AccessRules - Authorization layer
> MKDoc::Auth::BasicRules - Deploys basic access rules for MKDoc::Auth on
> a given site.
>
> Does this make sense?

Hey Jean-Michel,

The three layers make sense to me. However, I'd think that MKDoc::Authz
would be a more intuitive name for the Authorization layer.

FWIW, I do authentication/authorization using the following tools:

CGI -
    authentication - custom login; managed with sessions
    access rules - hash of runmodes and permissions
    authorization - via CGI::Application (check permissions cgiapp_prerun)

mod_perl -
    authentication - Apache .htaccess and/or Apache::AuthCookieDBI
    access rules - user/group restrictions
    authorization - carefully placed instance scripts which only allow
        access to authorized subroutines

Cheers,
William

--