[MKDoc-modules] Re: Encoding issues

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Mon Oct 13 14:49:21 BST 2003

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 05:59:46PM +0100, Paul Arzul wrote:
> yes, tidy is guilty, and the whole thing is a mess. i don't know how my test
> cases i've crafted should behave...
>
> read this[1,2] for more gory details. the fix that tidy doesn't do (and i
> think should is[2]):

Yuck, this is getting gory. I think this quote from Dave's email in [1]
is interesting (I didn't realize this solution was written into the
standards) and has been suggested several times on this list:

 "The XHTML 1.0 standard therefore recommends you move your scripts
 to external files. The onmouseover and other event attributes
 are however ok, as browsers will deal with entities in attribute
 values."

I could not find the reference he mentions in the specs at W3C but did
find an article at Netscape[2] that suggests not using either inline
style or script tags in XHTML. Oy, what a headache!

Thanks,
William

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/html-tidy/2000JulSep/0323.html
[2] http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2003/xhtml-style-script/