[MKDoc-dev] Future sitemap plugin replacement proposal

Bruno Postle bruno at mkdoc.com
Thu Jan 6 15:33:42 GMT 2005

MKDoc currently has flo::plugin::Sitemap, a plugin that displays a
nested sitemap of the whole site at locations like this:

    http://www.example.com/path/to/.sitemap.html

This is ok but the content is exactly the same for all 'parent
documents' and can get extremely large as sites get bigger.

It also gets crawled by robots repeatedly, which is why I tend to
redirect all requests to a single sitemap at the site root.  Ie.
whichever sitemap you request, you end-up getting this one:

    http://www.example.com/.sitemap.html

We have a plan to replace the current sitemap with a shorter one
that just lists 'nearby' documents by default.

By nearby, I mean just: parents, parent_siblings, siblings and
children documents of the current document.

Each document in the list that itself has children will have a
little [+] link that links directly to the sitemap of that document.

The idea is that it will appear to fully expandable.  If you expand
and explore a collapsed branch in the tree, documents that are
'further away' will collapse so that the overall length of the
sitemap page will stay the same - but in fact you are just visiting
sitemaps of other documents.

Since it is going to be much shorter, we can afford to include
document descriptions as well as titles.

Since there are only as many variations of the sitemap as there are
documents, we can afford to let robots crawl it too.

--
Bruno