[MKDoc-dev] MySQL 4.1 and plain text passwords

Chris Croome chris at webarchitects.co.uk
Wed Feb 16 13:10:09 GMT 2005

Hi

I guess the legal problems were resolved RHEL that shipped yesterday
comes with MySQL 4.1:

  Users should note that there may be compatibility issues when
  migrating applications or databases from version 3.23.x to 4.1.x of
  MySQL. A known issue is that the default timestamp format has changed.
  To address these various issues, the mysqlclient10 package is included
  to provide the 3.23.x client library (libmysqlclient.so.10) for binary
  compatibility with applications linked against this legacy library.
  Note

  While the mysqlclient10 package provides compatibility support with
  the MySQL 4.1.x server, it does not support the new password
  encryption method introduced in version 4.1. To enable compatibility
  with legacy MySQL 3.x-based clients, the old_passwords parameter is
  enabled by default in the /etc/my.cnf configuration file. If
  compatibility with old clients is not required, this parameter can be
  disabled to allow use of the improved password encryption method.

  http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/release-notes/as-x86/#id3465361

So I have updated the MySQL bug for 1.8 from wishlist to normal:

  http://www.mkdoc.org/bugs/unstable/normal/mysql-41/

When CentOS ship a version 4 I'll install install this on a box when I
get a chance to see if the old_passwords parameter workaround does the
trick.

Chris