[MKDoc-dev] Status of ECommerce module

Bruno Postle bruno at webarchitects.co.uk
Wed Sep 29 08:36:08 BST 2004

On Wed 29-Sep-2004 at 01:21 +1000, Charlie Garrison wrote:

> I haven't looked in the site search functionality to know whether this is
> already possible. But I would want to be able to create a browsable and
> searchable product catalog.

The idea is that the MKDoc heirarchical structure is good for
building a browsable product catalog - Then the 'audience'
preferences and the cousin_homonym functionality allow navigation
that cuts across this strict heirarchy.

> Can the existing search funtion be limited to a certain branch of
> the document hiearchy?

Yes.

> Can the search results be customized to display certain components
> from the found pages (eg. price component)?

No, it's worse than that, the search uses a simple text index of all
documents (with weighting for different fields).  So there currently
no way to list all the documents with price components (or any other
type of component).

We always envisaged that any component that needs to be quickly
searchable would have a supplementry SQL table, so:

- A price component needs a stock table
- An event component needs a calendar table
- A location component etc..

--
Bruno