[MKDoc-dev] Improving MKDoc Installation

Sam Tregar sam at tregar.com
Thu Sep 23 20:59:29 BST 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Chris Swaine wrote:

> Therefore, there needs to be a reality that what is required is a
> downloadable zip file, which can be unzipped and then uploaded to their
> webspace. It is very likely that through a virtual control panel, they can
> enable an MySQL database. The idea then is that they upload through FTP the
> folders [which unzip automatically into the required structure] and then
> call an install script - mysite.com/folder/install

This sounds great.  That said, I have no idea how to do this with
MKDoc!  As currently architected it requires much more control over
Apache than a typical shared-hosting environment will allow.

I think it's very possible to imagine setting up a free or low-cost
hosting environment for charitable projects.  With control over the
server setup we could make it very easy for new users to come in and
setup a new MKDoc instance.

> Is this unrealistic - no - it is already out there.

For an Apache/mod_perl application?  Point me to it!  I've looked
everywhere for an example of a large-scale Apache/mod_perl database
app with a simple installer and I found nothing.

-sam