[MKDoc-dev] Events Component: Milestone 1 Complete

Chris Croome chris at webarchitects.co.uk
Tue Oct 19 16:07:59 BST 2004

Hi

On Tue 19-Oct-2004 at 01:59:04PM +0100, Bruno Postle wrote:

> Nope, you just get a select list with 8000 items.  Not very
> clever, but it is usable so long as all the items are sorted.

We generally set up apache to send gz'ed content and this means the
file size isn't really a problem, however it appears that having
quite a lot of memory on a client machine when it is running mozilla
helps make the select list work well...

> Obviously this wouldn't scale to much bigger sites - It's
> something we would have to fix when it becomes a problem.

I guess the way to fix it would be to be able to narrow down the
list by adding the the query string, in the same kind of way that is
done for searching, for example to search in http://mkdoc.com/docs/
you use this URI:

  http://mkdoc.com/docs/.search.html?narrow=/docs/

And to narrow it doen to /docs/howtoos/ you use this:

  http://mkdoc.com/docs/howto/.search.html?narrow=/docs/howto/