[MKDoc-dev] Events Component: Milestone 1 Complete

Bruno Postle bruno at webarchitects.co.uk
Tue Oct 19 11:27:20 BST 2004

On Mon 18-Oct-2004 at 23:26 +0100, arman wrote:

> I hesitate to interrupt your thread of conversation but there is
> an issue of importance that the calendar months and the number of
> days in a month are different in some parts of the world such as
> the Arab world.

The dates are stored in the database in a format that can be
converted to and from any other calendar system, so we are not
building something that is intrinsically badly designed.

There are a number of perl modules that can help with conversion:

    http://search.cpan.org/dist/DateTime-Calendar-Hijri/
    http://search.cpan.org/dist/DateTime-Calendar-Hebrew/
    http://search.cpan.org/dist/TimeDate/
    http://search.cpan.org/dist/Date-Roman/
    http://search.cpan.org/dist/Date-Convert-French_Rev/
    http://cpan.org/modules/by-module/DateTime/
    etc...

So displaying dates appropriately would just be a matter of
providing methods that deliver dates in the various formats - Which
could then be used by template designers.

Modifying the editor interface to allow input of Arabic/Farsi dates
could be done, but that is a job for later.

--
Bruno