[MKDoc-dev] Is better timezone handling worth a new dependency?

Sam Tregar sam at tregar.com
Mon Oct 18 15:50:14 BST 2004

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Chris Croome wrote:

> I don't have a problem with another dependency, as far as I'm
> concerned if there is good, usefull code on CAPN then we should make
> the most of it :-)

Good.  I'll work on switching to DateTime::TimeZone for the events code.

> I'm note sure if this was implemented in 1.8 but the idea for
> specifying the time zone of a MKDoc site was to add a env var to
> httpd-env.conf:
>
>   # timezone
>   SetEnv    TZ    /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London

I'm reasonably sure that DateTime::TimeZone will respect the TZ
setting.  I'm sure that Date::Manip does.  This is the standard Unix
way to specify the local timezone for a machine.

> I think saying that each MKDoc site can only have one time zone is
> OK for now (perhaps at somepoint it might be necessary to specify
> the time zone on a document-by-document basis...?).

The way I've coded it the timezone select box defaults to the current
TZ.  The editor can select a different timezone if they wish.  Does
that make sense to you?

-sam