[MKDoc-dev] Proposed event/calendar functionality

Bruno Postle bruno at webarchitects.co.uk
Mon Oct 18 12:46:13 BST 2004

On Mon 18-Oct-2004 at 11:05 +0100, Chris Croome wrote:

> > At some point I'd like to merge the RSS component as well since
> > the functionality is identical to Headlines.
>
> Actually, in addition to the fact that the Headlines component is
> for listing documents on the local site and RSS is used for linking
> to external sites there is also another difference -- the listing of
> documents generated using a headlines component is different for
> logged on users, if you are logged in then the listing changes based
> on the audience preferences you have selected, nothing like this is
> done with the RSS component.

..but this distinction is of no importance to end-users.  Internally
generated headlines have some server-side 'personalisation magic'
and external ones don't - Either way the interface is identical.

Exposing the difference has no real purpose other than to confuse
people.

> I'm not really sure if craming lots of features into a small number
> of components is the best thing to do or if having lots of
> components, some of which do similar things makes most sense...

Merging features into a simpler user-interface should be done if
it can be done without without reducing the richness of the
user-experience.

> Also perhaps we need to someday look at getting rid of the
> distinction between the document properties and document content --
> orginally the idea was that the document metadata would be edited on
> the properties page but since we are now looking at adding
> components for documents metadata it might make sense to have one
> page for editing documents and not two seperate ones...

The DateRange component isn't storing 'metadata' any more than any
other component is.  We have Link components, these can be expressed
as DCTERMS.references metadata, but this doesn't make them
'metadata' of a document in any kind of interesting way.

Title, description, language - These things can only be set once for
a document - They are attributes and the interface for accessing
them is necessarily going to be different.

--
Bruno