[MKDoc-dev] Where is the line between flo::editor::* and flo::plugin::*?

Bruno Postle bruno at webarchitects.co.uk
Sun Oct 17 22:44:44 BST 2004

On Sat 16-Oct-2004 at 18:30 -0400, Sam Tregar wrote:

> Put simply, what is the difference between flo::editor modules and
> flo::plugin modules?
>
> My first guess was that flo::editor modules dealt with admins
> editing the site and flo::plugin modules are for endering data to
> show to clients.  That doesn't seem to be the case.  In fact, the
> closer I look the more overlap I see between the two.

The flo::editor modules are the document-components - An MKDoc
document consists of 0 or more components.  The name 'editor' is a
misnomer as the modules have methods for both setting and querying
component attributes and data.

The plug-ins are closely related to the REST-ful URI system,
typically they are invoked by a particular URI pattern:

- The flo::plugin::Headlines module is invoked when a request
  doesn't match any of the previous conditions in the plugin list
  AND if the PATH_INFO matches '(.*).headlines.rss$' - It serves an
  RSS-1.0 view of all the sub-documents of the requested document
  (so an MKDoc site has as many RSS feeds as there are documents
  with sub-documents).

- flo::plugin::Print responds to '(.*).print.html$' and delivers a print
  version of a document.

- The normal document view - ie. any URI that ends in '/' - is
  served by the flo::plugin::Cache::Fake module (the name is a relic
  as previously documents were handled by the deprecated internal
  cacheing system).

> PS: Does anyone know what "flo" stands for or means?

Florence is Adam's fourth (I think) child, she is about four years
old and some of this code is even older.

--
Bruno