[MKDoc-dev] Events Component: Milestone 1 Complete

Sam Tregar sam at tregar.com
Sun Oct 17 20:17:45 BST 2004

Hello all.  Attached is a patch implementing the first phase of the
events project, the TimeRange component and editor.  I'm very
interested in your assessment of this work.

Some general notes on development thus far:

  - You can apply this patch in your mkd-1.6.29 directory with:

       patch -p1 < mkd_events_1.patch

  - You'll need to rebuild your database, or else create the new
    Document_TimeRange table by hand.  I could create a script to do
    this, although a full-fledged database upgrade mechanism would be
    even better.

  - I implemented flo::editor::TimeRange using Date::Manip, but I'm
    still in favor of bringing in DateTime::TimeZone from CPAN to
    produce a better selection list for timezones.  Not only is
    Data::Manip's list much too short, I had to use an undocumented
    interface to get it.  If Date::Manip's internals change in a
    future version we could have trouble.

  - You'll see that this patch includes a new directory, t/,
    containing a test script for file flo::editor::TimeRange called
    timerange.t.  I found it very hard to write code without tests and
    I eventually just gave up!  You can run the tests with "prove t".

  - This work took 13 hours to complete which puts me slightly ahead
    of schedule.  I attribute this to the high quality of the MKDoc
    code.  It may not be well documented but it is very well
    conceived.  Again and again I found things exactly where I
    expected them to be!

  - I'm not fully up-to-speed on MKDoc's SQL-replacement technology,
    lib::sql.  As you'll see in flo::editor::TimeRange I took the easy
    way out and just used straight SQL.  If this isn't acceptable I'm
    willing to take another run at mastering lib::sql.

-sam

PS: My first attempt to send this message bounced because it was
bigger than 40kb.  I fixed this by gzipping the patch.  Maybe the limit
should be raised?