[MKDoc-dev] Proposed event/calendar functionality

Sam Tregar sam at tregar.com
Wed Oct 13 18:22:33 BST 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Bruno Postle wrote:

> In addition to these existing ad-hoc types, we want to be able to make an
> MKDoc document an Event (in time) and later-on, a Place (in space).

I think I understand what you mean by an Event, but what do you mean
by a Place?  Or is this future work that doesn't require consideration
now?

> Elsewhere a calendar can be displayed, this will be customised to
> show only productions in the future matching a visitors audience
> preferences:

Does a calendar component already exist or what that be part of this
development too?

> Rather than trying to stuff this information into the document
> attributes, the plan is to create a new 'component type' that
> represents a 'time range' - This solves the potential problem of
> repeating-events requiring complex configuration rules - Under this
> model a repeating event simply has multiple 'time range' components.

Does the editor have to manually add each instance of a repeating
range?  For example, an event might occur every other Wednesday from
4pm to 5pm.

> This will be stored in the document Body in the same way as existing
> components, though events need to be search-able, so a new SQL table is
> required:

Will the data be replicated, i.e. stored in both the Body and in the
Component_TimeRange table for searching?  Or will the data be stored
in the Component_TimeRange and merely referenced from Body?

>  Component_TimeRange
>  --------------------
>  ID            Char
>  Date_Start    TimeDate
>  Date_Start_TZ Char
>  Date_Stop     TimeDate
>  Date_Stop_TZ  Char
>  Title         Char
>
> (I realise that this is missing the Document_ID, very important)

Can you elaborate on why Document_ID is missing and why this is
important?  It seems to me that the relevent Component_TimeRange.IDs
could be stored in the Body and then Component_TimeRange.Document_ID
wouldn't be needed.

Thanks,
-sam