[MKDoc-dev] [BUG] newsletter duplicate items

Bruno Postle bruno at mkdoc.com
Fri Dec 17 12:30:56 GMT 2004

This is a minor irritation, though I'm not quite sure of the best
solution.

The newsletter is run as a cron-job, so it uses the locale and
timezone of the user running the command.  Items for the newsletter
are selected from the Date_Created field of new documents.

Basically the script will assemble all items created since '00.00
yesterday'.  This means that if the cronjob is run at 08:00 in
the morning, all documents created in the previous 32 hours will be
considered.

So any documents created after midnight will go in that day's
newsletter and the newsletter for the day-after.

Solutions:

- Only send yesterday's news.  Items created after midnight wait
  until the day-after.  This is how the slashdot newsletter works -
  Which is annoyingly always out of date.

- Only send the last 24 hours news - but this is confusing as you
  might expect all of yesterday's items in a newsletter.

- Run the cronjob at 1 minute past midnight.

Any comments?  I'm inclined to leave it as it is.

--
Bruno