[MKDoc-users] Installation with SuSE and httpd.conf probs

Bruno Postle bruno@mkdoc.com
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 12:02:32 +0100

On Thu 12-Sep-2002 at 12:36:55AM +0200, Friedrich-Stade@gmx.de wrote:

> Can tell you that I needed two days to install the software for MKDoc
> with SuSE 7.3. But I am not a unix guy. This is my first and last
> experience with unix and it doesnīt satisfy me very much.

I'm sorry that you had this experience.  If it's any consolation, things
seemed as confusing when I first started with unix having become
accustomed to monolithic windows software.

The reason why we can't fully automate the install procedure is that
different systems may have very different requirements.

For example, we can't assume that the MySQL server is on the same
machine as the apache server - Often this is a different computer or
even on another network.  Similarly Apache may be already in use on the
system in ways that we can't predict.

> Ok, most work is done and I want to bring it to an end. I tried to
> start Apache with the MkDoc httpd.conf. But it wonīt start. Error in
> line 3.  ServerName?!

The problem is that the file referred to by the Include statement in
your mkdoc httpd.conf file is actually template that is used by the
install script.  Apache doesn't like it because the template isn't in
the right format.

> P.S.: I donīt work with a my.cnf in MySQL. Is this a problem with MkDoc?

No it isn't, the default MySQL configuration is quite useable for a test
MkDoc site (Actually the warnings about MySQL resources in the install
document are really there to remind system administrators that MySQL
_can_ be configured).

> P.S.S: And the Installation readme writes: If you want to run MkDoc using
> mod_perl, uncomment the lines in the httpd.conf file that enable it:
> /var/www/mkdoc/mkdoc-side/httpd.conf
> What does that mean? A httpd.conf in …/mkdoc-side/ ???? I donīt have that!

It looks like the install script didn't create it - Did the install
script run successfully?

> hosts
> #####################################################################
> 127.0.0.1	        localhost
> 127.0.0.1        www.example.com   ////I need this for what?
> 127.0.0.1	editor.example.com  //// ????????
> 127.0.0.1       admin.example.com  ////????????

MkDoc typically uses three hostnames for a default installation.

On a production site, these will need to be configured with a
name-server so that the rest of the world can find them.  If you are
only testing locally, then it is possible to create temporary/local
hostnames on unix (and windows) systems by editing the 'hosts' file.

--
Bruno