[CPS] CPS news

Dexter ctr.public.serv@mcr1.poptel.org.uk
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 13:17:08 +0000

--MS_Mac_OE_3089884628_973595_MIME_Part

from the Centre for Public Services

Email subscribers
We apologise for the long gap since our last email - entirely due to heavy
workloads. We plan to increase the frequency of emails and we are offering =
new service directly to affiliates - see below.

Strategic Partnerships - National research for UNISON
The Centre has commenced a national two year research project of strategic
partnerships in local government. It will focus on eight case study
authorities - six which have outsourced services and two which have
developed in-house improvement programnmes. We will also be monitoring
strategic partnerships in other authorities and assessing national trends
and developments. The project will be producing detailed evidence, briefing
papers and other material for UNISON. Further details from the Centre.

Bradford=B9s outsourcing agenda: Assessment of Proposals
Report commissioned by Bradford UNISON critically examining the scale of
city council=B9s =B3change programme=B2 and privatisation plans including the
education strategic partnership, proposed transfer of the city=B9s housing
stock to local housing companies, private involvement in information and
communications technology, asset management joint venture and the
establishment of a city centre company. The analysis also highlights the
risks to frontline service delivery and the wider social and economic impac=
on some of the most deprived wards in Britain. A series of recommendations
presents coherent alternatives to the outsourcing agenda.
32 pages. Published April 2001. Cost =A310.00 plus =A32 post and packing.

Care Services for the Elderly: social and economic impact of transfer
The third report written by the Centre for the Residents Action Group for
the Elderly (RAGE) and Birmingham UNISON focusses on the relationship
between the proposed privatisation of residential care, race and gender
implications and Best Value. Transfer and proposed unit cost reductions are
predicted to directly impact on the quality of care and to increase
inequality in Birmingham. The impact of privatisation on staff would fall
directly on large numbers of women and black and ethnic minority groups who
are already amongst the lowest paid working for the city council. The repor=
highlights the contradictions of the council=B9s own policies for community
well-being and Best Value and makes a series of recommendations.
50 pages. Published July 2001. Cost =A310.00 plus =A32 post and packing.

Shedding the Light: A critique of the Outline Business Case for the
Newcastle-North Tyneside Street lighting PFI project
Demonstrates how the OBC has over =A316m of cost savings and efficiencies
built into the financial model in order to make the PFI appear to provide
value for money. The report challenges the basis of these assumptions. It
also shows, using detailed traffic accident data, how the community safety
and social benefits from reduced road accidents and crime have been
exaggerated.
20 pages. Published October 2001. Cost =A310.00 plus =A32 post and packing.

Salford Social, Economic and Environmental Audit
In autumn 2000, Salford City Council considered the possible outsourcing of
financial and legal services. Although the Cabinet concluded that much of
the potential savings from outsourcing financial services could be achieved
by reorganisation, further work was carried out on four options.

Salford UNISON published a report =8CPrivatising Salford? An Alternative to
the Outsourcing of Council Services=B9 in December 2000 from the Centre for
Public Services. The aims of the report were to assess the implications of =
strategic partnership for corporate support services, to identify the costs
and risks of such a strategy and to inform Elected Members and staff of an
alternative approach for Salford.

The Social, Economic and Environmental Audit provided detailed evidence of
the social, economic and environmental impact of options on the community,
local economy, the labour market and the sub-regional economy. It included =
detailed analysis of the residential location of staff and the impact of
employment change. The report included an assessment of the proposals on
community well-being and on particular groups in the community. In August
2001, the city council decided not to outsource services and to continue
with its in-house improvement programme.
40 pages. Published August 2001. Cost =A310.00 plus =A32 post and packing.

Copies of these reports can be obtained from:
Centre for Public Services
1 Sidney Street,
Sheffield S1 4RG
Tel 0114 272 6683

Forthcoming in early 2002
Privatising Justice: Impact of the Private Finance Initiative on the
Criminal Justice System -  a major report for the Justice Forum.

Public Service Analysis
It is with regret that we have decided to cease production of Public Servic=
Analysis. We produced 56 issues of Public Service Action followed by 3
issues of Public Service Analysis. The workload of the Centre has increased
so we have been unable to schedule regular production of the magazine. We
are launching an enhanced email service to affiliates providing news,
reports and information which will go some way to replacing some of the
valuable content of PSA.

Details of affiliation are available on our website www.centre.public.org.u=
or by phoning us on 0114-272 6683.

--MS_Mac_OE_3089884628_973595_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>CPS news</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
<FONT SIZE=3D"5">from the Centre for Public Services<BR>
</FONT><B><BR>
Email subscribers<BR>
</B>We apologise for the long gap since our last email - entirely due to he=
avy workloads. We plan to increase the frequency of emails and we are offeri=
ng a new service directly to affiliates - see below.<BR>
<B><BR>
Strategic Partnerships - National research for UNISON<BR>
</B>The Centre has commenced a national two year research project of strate=
gic partnerships in local government. It will focus on eight case study auth=
orities - six which have outsourced services and two which have developed in=
-house improvement programnmes. We will also be monitoring strategic partner=
ships in other authorities and assessing national trends and developments. T=
he project will be producing detailed evidence, briefing papers and other ma=
terial for UNISON. Further details from the Centre.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<B>Bradford=B9s outsourcing agenda: Assessment of Proposals<BR>
</B>Report commissioned by Bradford UNISON critically examining the scale o=
f city council=B9s =B3change programme=B2 and privatisation plans including the ed=
ucation strategic partnership, proposed transfer of the city=B9s housing stock=
 to local housing companies, private involvement in information and communic=
ations technology, asset management joint venture and the establishment of a=
 city centre company. The analysis also highlights the risks to frontline se=
rvice delivery and the wider social and economic impact on some of the most =
deprived wards in Britain. A series of recommendations presents coherent alt=
ernatives to the outsourcing agenda.<BR>
32 pages. Published April 2001. Cost =A310.00 plus =A32 post and packing.<BR>
<BR>
<B>Care Services for the Elderly: social and economic impact of transfer<BR=

</B>The third report written by the Centre for the Residents Action Group f=
or the Elderly (RAGE) and Birmingham UNISON focusses on the relationship bet=
ween the proposed privatisation of residential care, race and gender implica=
tions and Best Value. Transfer and proposed unit cost reductions are predict=
ed to directly impact on the quality of care and to increase inequality in B=
irmingham. The impact of privatisation on staff would fall directly on large=
 numbers of women and black and ethnic minority groups who are already among=
st the lowest paid working for the city council. The report highlights the c=
ontradictions of the council=B9s own policies for community well-being and Bes=
t Value and makes a series of recommendations. <BR>
50 pages. Published July 2001. Cost =A310.00 plus =A32 post and packing.<BR>
<BR>
<B>Shedding the Light: A critique of the Outline Business Case for the Newc=
astle-North Tyneside Street lighting PFI project<BR>
</B>Demonstrates how the OBC has over =A316m of cost savings and efficiencies=
 built into the financial model in order to make the PFI appear to provide v=
alue for money. The report challenges the basis of these assumptions. It als=
o shows, using detailed traffic accident data, how the community safety and =
social benefits from reduced road accidents and crime have been exaggerated.=
<BR>
20 pages. Published October 2001. Cost =A310.00 plus =A32 post and packing.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<B>Salford Social, Economic and Environmental Audit<BR>
</B>In autumn 2000, Salford City Council considered the possible outsourcin=
g of financial and legal services. Although the Cabinet concluded that much =
of the potential savings from outsourcing financial services could be achiev=
ed by reorganisation, further work was carried out on four options.<BR>
<BR>
Salford UNISON published a report =8C<B>Privatising Salford? An Alternative t=
o the Outsourcing of Council Services=B9 </B>in December 2000 from the Centre =
for Public Services. The aims of the report were to assess the implications =
of a strategic partnership for corporate support services, to identify the c=
osts and risks of such a strategy and to inform Elected Members and staff of=
 an alternative approach for Salford. <BR>
<BR>
The <B>Social, Economic and Environmental Audit</B> provided detailed evide=
nce of the social, economic and environmental impact of options on the commu=
nity, local economy, the labour market and the sub-regional economy. It incl=
uded a detailed analysis of the residential location of staff and the impact=
 of employment change. The report included an assessment of the proposals on=
 community well-being and on particular groups in the community. In August 2=
001, the city council decided not to outsource services and to continue with=
 its in-house improvement programme.<BR>
40 pages. Published August 2001. Cost =A310.00 plus =A32 post and packing.<BR>
<BR>
Copies of these reports can be obtained from:<BR>
Centre for Public Services<BR>
1 Sidney Street,<BR>
Sheffield S1 4RG<BR>
Tel 0114 272 6683<BR>
<BR>
<B>Forthcoming in early 2002<BR>
Privatising Justice: Impact of the Private Finance Initiative on the Crimin=
al Justice System - </B>&nbsp;a major report for the Justice Forum.<BR>
<BR>
<B>Public Service Analysis<BR>
</B>It is with regret that we have decided to cease production of Public Se=
rvice Analysis. We produced 56 issues of Public Service Action followed by 3=
 issues of Public Service Analysis. The workload of the Centre has increased=
 so we have been unable to schedule regular production of the magazine. We a=
re launching an enhanced email service to affiliates providing news, reports=
 and information which will go some way to replacing some of the valuable co=
ntent of PSA.<BR>
<BR>
Details of affiliation are available on our website www.centre.public.org.u=
k or by phoning us on 0114-272 6683.
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3089884628_973595_MIME_Part--