entity (was [Petal] HTB and entities)

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Wed Jan 7 19:15:27 GMT 2004

Hi all,

While researching information about why xmllint was giving me flak about
  (Entity 'nbsp' not defined), I came across a thread[1] which may
help with the HTB problems I've been facing. I'm hoping some of the
stronger XML users on the list can chime in.

It appears that   is not recognized as an entity by xmllint
(although my reading at w3c does indicate that it is valid). Perhaps
this is why Petal is converting it to an alternate character.

Here's the significant part of the thread on Google that suggested nbsp
was not defined by default. Does this apply if I'm using the XHTML DTD?

------------------------------------
transformNodeToObject is running into a completely different problem.  Using
  in an XML document is not valid XML unless the entity nbsp is defined
in a DTD as follows:

<!DOCTYPE foo [
<!ENTITY nbsp "&#160;">
]>
<foo>&nbsp;</foo>

My DTD in the document being evaluated by xmllint is as follows:

Thanks,
William

[1]
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&threadm=s0pfo8lkr0171%40corp.supernews.com&rnum=15&prev=/groups%3Fnum%3D30%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DISO-8859-1%26safe%3Doff%26q%3D%2BEntity%2B%27nbsp%27%2Bnot%2Bdefined%2B%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch

--
Knowmad Services Inc.
http://www.knowmad.com