[Petal] Does Petal support a simple while loop?

Grant McLean grant at mclean.net.nz
Mon Jun 23 08:35:15 BST 2003

Thanks for your thoughtful reply Fergal.  I share your concern
about adding too many general purpose programming structures to
Petal.  Perhaps a little background on what I'm trying to achieve
might be useful...

I have a 'RecordSet' class that wraps a DBI statement handle and
(among other things) performs a fetch each time the next method
is called.  For the common case, this lazy evaluation is not a
huge win, but as well a being more efficient for large result
sets, it also allows some extra funkiness that wouldn't be
possible if all the result rows were slurped into an array.

For example, if I build a record set from this query:

     my $rs = $self->db_select("
         SELECT artist, year, title FROM cdlist WHERE genre = ?
         ORDER BY artist, year, title
       ", $genre
     );

Then I can use this snippet in a TT2 template:

   <% WHILE (artist = rs.grouped_column('artist')) %>
     <h2><% artist %></h2>
     <ul>
       <% WHILE (row = rs.next) %>
         <li><% row.title %> (<% row.year %>)</li>
       <% END %>
     </ul>
   <% END %>

To produce HTML that renders like this:

   Genre: rock

   Billy Joel
     * Turnstiles (1976)
     * The Nylon Curtain (1982)
     * An Innocent Man (1983)
     * The Bridge (1986)

   Crowded House
     * Crowded House (1986)

   Peter Gabriel
     * So (1986)
     * Shaking The Tree (1990)
     * Us (1992)

Ideally, I'd like to achieve the same effect with Petal code like
this:

     <h2 petal:content="artist">Artist</h2>
     <ul>
         <li petal:repeat="row rs/next">
           (<span petal:replace="row/year">Year</span>)
         </li>
     </ul>

The grouped_column() method on the RecordSet object supports
nesting to an arbitrary level.

To achieve the grouping effect in TT2 with out the recordset
object would involve temporary variables and ugly if statements.
The same approach might work with Petal but it would be at
least as ugly.

Both the grouped_column() and the next() methods do actually
return an empty list in a list context (my description of
returning undef at the end was an oversimplification) so they
would be compatible with the simple style:

   while (my ($next) = $list->next)

and would not require the has_next(), get_next() style of
implementation.  I understand the full iterator model you
discuss, but since this is Perl and as you say Perl can do it
with one method, I don't see an advantage.  The disadvantage
would be that a change to the Petal syntax would be required
to define the extra method names.

I had thought that the approach I'm suggesting, would
require no extra syntax beyond allowing petal:repeat's second
argument to be a method name.  As I type this, I realise that
it probably already can be a method name but expects that the
method would return a list of hashes.  If that is how it
behaves then my proposal probably couldn't be integrated
easily.  Bother.

Must go and have breakfast :-)

Regards
Grant