[multikulti-tech] displaying Arabic on MacOS 9

Dan McQuillan dmcquillan at lasa.org.uk
Wed Jan 7 17:14:50 GMT 2004

Hi Ali

>Message = Your help section on installing support on the Mac
>to display Arabic characters appear to be brief and limited to MacOSX.
>
>Is it possible to view your Arabic section using Apple PPC G4
>running MacOS 9.1?

sorry - our experience of using a Mac with Multikulti is very limited.

It looks like it should be possible: Alan Wood’s Unicode site (a good resource) says "The Macintosh operating system has included Unicode support since version 8.5" & it has a list of arabic fonts at http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts_mac.html

Also, the site "An introduction to writing Arabic on the Mac" has a bit more detail about the arabic language setup for OS 9-9.1: see http://www.hf-fak.uib.no/institutter/smi/ksv/ArabicMac.html

If you are able to get things working, it would be really helpful if you could let us know. Then we can add that to our Help info for other Mac users.

Best wishes
Dan McQuillan
[Dr. Dan McQuillan / Multikulti project / 020 7377 1226 / www.multikulti.org.uk ]